Ok, so to start this off I woke up more tired then when I went to bed, day sucks already. So we were supposed to meet some friends, ok a co worker and his fiance, for bowling! I love bowling even though I suck! We get to the bowling alley at about 2:45 and asked for a lane. Come back around 6 was the reply. Dammit. Ok, there is another across town lets try there! We drive past there to the ATM for some cash, and about a block from the second alley we get a call. It's bowl for kids sake at this alley, no luck. So we decide to try again tomorrow, no big deal. Since we were out and about, we decide to go ahead and run to a car show in a near by town! We get there, no problems, walk up to this little building about the size of a small high school gym, and as I pull the door open my wife says, "umm it's $9 per person!" Yikes, would look dumb if we turned back now, and we had driven all that way. I pay the $18 bucks and we go on inside. There were a few cool cars, but too many people, and too few cars for $18. We left after maybe 30 minutes, and looking at all the cars. On the way back I say hey lets run down by the river and see if there are any bald eagles out! We get to the river and decide to drive back to the nature area. Just down the road a little bit we come across a couple dogs in the road. Of course they decide it best to chase us. Lovely. We turn down the road to the nature area and there one is! A Bald Eagle in a tree just about 80 yards off the road. We look at it a while then drive on down the road. Of course its hunting season and the nature area is closed. Dammit. We head back down the road and reach the stop sign. My wife says hey lets continue on this way so we don't have to meet those dogs again. No problem. We continue on down the road and come to a highway. I turn onto the highway and cross back over the river, and at this point I really am not exactly sure where we are, but I figure it I just stay on this road I will figure it out. About a mile down the road and around 5pm or so I shout out there is an owl on that telephone pole! My wife says "No way, turn around!" I turn around, and decide I will pull over to look at it, and thats when it happened........ The shoulder gave way under the passenger side of the truck and we sunk about 2 and a half feet into the snow..... Dammit we are stuck. I try to rock the truck back and forth a little and it just slides deeper into the snow. I immediately ask my wife for our insurance information and call the roadside assistance number. I talk to this lady for about 15 minutes trying to explain where we are. Finally she says ok I will contact a two truck and send them your way! Thanks!!!! After about an hour I call back select the option for check the status of my ticket. After sitting on hold for half an hour I hang up and call back, this time I select the option for I need help! I tell the person as soon as they pick up that I have already called and just need to talk to someone. She asks for my phone number and give it to her. She says oh I see here she couldn't find anyone and tried to call you back but she had written the number down wrong. Then they tell me she when home without asking anyone to follow up on my issue. Are you freaking kidding me!!!!! This lady tells me that she will start calling around to find me some help and if I don't hear from the automated system telling me when to expect help in the next 20 minutes then I should call back. She even gives me her direct extension. I wait about 25 minutes and call back. I just select the option for I need help, and I tell the person that this other person was helping me. I give him her extension and he tries her, tells me she is on the phone, then asks me to hold while he tried to get a hold of her. He comes back and says "Ok she is on the phone with a towing company arranging payment, you should hear from the automated system shortly." Now around 8pm, the temperature is down to about 15F and the truck is starting to get a little low on gas, I get a call that it will be two hours before help can get there. Cue the angry side of Matthew. I explain to them that I have been waiting since 5:30pm and it is now just after 8pm, and that I am extremely unhappy about the first person I spoke to whom went home without ensuring I got help! He lets me vent to a manager who assures me they will handle the situation with the first lady I spoke to, and that if the bill for getting us out of the ditch is more than my policy covers he will take care of it. I feel a little better now, it's almost over! Around 9:15 or so I get a call from the towing company saying ok I have my driver on the way where are you? I explain where I went and where I have been told I am. She proceeds to tell me that the insurance company gave them the wrong location and that they would have to contact the driver. I am told they would be there shortly, no problem. At a little after 10pm I get another call. It is the towing company telling me they have canceled the work request. They said the driver couldn't make it due to the road being too bad. Umm what?!? Now I shall introduce you to VERY PISSED OFF MATTHEW!!! I yell a lot. I really really yell a lot. What in the hell am I supposed to do now?!?! I hang up and get a call from my insurance company. Again they tell me the tow company canceled because they said they can't make it. I explain in a very loud angry voice how the road is perfectly F*#@$%G CLEAR!!! I ask him what I am supposed to do?? He tells me he can contact the police and have them come get us then try to get the truck tomorrow. Ok, I have a very large, very capable four wheel drive 1977 Bronco sitting in my garage, if I could only get home I would pull the damn truck out myself. The police finally arrive and the officer walks up and the first thing out of his mouth....... "Sir have you been drinking tonight?" Umm are you freaking kidding me?!? I simply reply "Umm no, Sir I have been sitting here in the freaking snow since about 5pm." At least he gets a chuckle out of it. I tell him that we were supposed to be getting a tow truck from town. You aren't going to believe what he says next. Ready?!? He says "I passed their driver on my way out here, she didn't even try making it." Yeah, once again, let me introduce you to VERY ANGRY MATTHEW. The cool thing was that the officer even got pissed. He says you just hang on a minute, and he grabs his phone and says I will get you a tow. He comes back and suggests we shut the truck off to conserve gas and climb in his cruiser to stay warm. It is after all now about 8F and I don't have a coat since it was around 30F when we left the house. He gets a call a few minutes later and is told they are sending a tow truck out of a town about 40 miles away! Umm what? Again he is pissed and calls another person. This guy he talks to says I am about 35 minutes away but headed that direction. Officer Vern tells him to bring a little gas, then tells his dispatcher to cancel the first truck. We then of course ask Officer Vern if there is anyway he could take us to a rest room since it was around 2pm the last time we had used one, and it was now after 11pm. He says sure there is a bar just up the road. We get back and in no time the guy shows up in a four wheel drive chevy truck with a ZZ502 big block engine. Ok I am a truck nut so that means something to me! Anyway, he hooks onto the back of my truck and I put it in reverse and floor it, and he tugs on it. I think he maybe pulled me back about a foot or so. He tries again and gets no where. He decides to get more length on the tow strap because one of his tires is on ice. Pretty soon he tells me to hit it and again I floor it, he hits it hard and pulls me several feet back. He pulls up and again tells me to go and hits it hard one last time and I come flying up onto the road!!!!! Finally we are free!!!!!!! I jump out and thank him profusely!!! Officer Vern tells him that I don't have much cash and he says "no problem, I don't have any paper work with me, so give me your address and I will just mail it to you." Sweet!! I then ask Officer Vern if I can follow him on into town since I have no idea where we are. He agrees and off we go. We drive right back up the damn road the tow truck driver decided she couldn't make it down, yeah it was perfectly clear, and we were only about 5 miles outside of town. Anyway, Officer Vern stops at an intersection and jumps out of his car, tells me to take a left here and follow it on home! I thank him several times and shake his hand. We head off down the road thanking god that we are ok and finally just about home. I don't remember what time exactly we got home, but I can tell you the last time I looked at the clock it was 1:30am and 7:30 when I got up came way, way to soon....
Sunday, February 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment