Friday, January 04, 2008

Insanity

Ok, I forgot to mention this to my wife yesterday with all the excitement over the caucus last night.

I was sitting at work yesterday, I got there at 6:30 am and there was one other person in the building. About 7am one of the contractors that works across from me, I would place the mans age around 60. He starts talking to me and mentions that it was his wifes birthday. He then proceeds to tell me that he has to leave at noon to go get his wifes new earrings. Ok, braces yourselves. He tells me that he decided to upgrade his wifes old earrings, which are a few years old he says, from one carat per ear to TWO carats per ear, yes you read that correct, TWO CARATS PER EAR. I am about to fall out of my chair and then he says they have to go straight from the jewelery store to the insurance agent because they are costing him $58,000... YES that is a comma, that is fifty eight thousand dollars (in my best wheel of fortune announcer voice). Ok, maybe its just because I am young(er) and have grown up struggling just to pay bills and put food on the table, but that is insanity to me. To top it off however, he then says yeah last year I got her a $6,000, again six thousand dollar, Rolex for her birthday. Um yeah, I am now trying to decide if I want to be really good friends with this guy, or to hate him for having what I don't. Hmm, ok hate him it is! In a nice friendly way of course!!!

2 comments:

Jill said...

I would absolutely murder my husband if he decided to spend that kind of money on something as dumb as huge earrings that would hurt your ears and easily get lost... you could feed a food pantry client list for a month with that kind of money... i hope this guy is charitable..

Regina said...

I'm with lil mouse -my hubby would be sleeping on the couch if he spent that kind of money - especially since he knows I would rather have the materials to make funky ones myself...

Wow... and these are an upgrade... bet she is impossible to buy for and has no hobbies or other interests?