Thursday, January 03, 2008

What does a software engineer actually do?

Ok, my job title, is Software Engineer, what I went to school for was Software Engineering. I consider most of the work I have done over the last 6 years to be that of a software developer, I wrote a lot of small programs, several windows scripts, access databases, visual basic apps with crystal reports, many php and perl web apps. Now I am supposed to be an engineer. As an engineer we are supposed to build robust and reliable software. This requires more than just sitting down and writing code. You have to sit down, plan what you need and how you will accomplish it. I normally draw out class diagrams showing what classes I will need, then how they interface with each other. I did say normally. I hate it that after all that school work, I get a job where I am supposed to be a software engineer, and I am not given an opportunity to actually engineer anything. Instead, in order to make deadline I have to basically throw code into files and hack it together. Our deadline is little over a week away though, so I hope that with the next version I can sit down with the other engineer on the project and actually engineer the project.

1 comment:

s.kesharam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.